Wednesday 25 September 2013

Signing days

At last! Workdays are back again! I think all of you know that I've been in hospital recently but I'm hoping to be back in the saddle again soon. I've been trying to accommodate as many of you as possible in a timetable of signing days early next month. What I propose is three days of signing, on different days of the week. Our main job is to renumber a section of the NCN which includes the Manifold Valley Trail from Waterhouses to Hulme End, roads and bridleways through Beresford Dale to Hartington, the gated road to Pilsbury and finally the road past Pilsbury Lodge to the High Peak Trail south of Sparklow. All of this will be National Route 549
The days I have put aside are: Thurs 17 and Fri 18 Oct, and Wed 23 Oct.  May I suggest a departure to our normal routine on the Thursday, please? Could we start in the afternoon, at Waterhouses station (cycle hire), south of the A523, where our signing can begin at the car park there - let us say at 13:00. This is to give me time to ride over in the morning with the signage. Bring panniers to take some of this stuff away with you, and a hammer! I will do some research before then on types of signage, as Jane Chapman at Bristol tells me that we can have tailor-made number patches that will be acceptable to the Peak National Park. 
As for the second and third days, we will continue wherever we have left off the day before, working probably from 10:00 to 13:00 on both days, as we usually do. I'll add the details on this post, and also confirm by email.
By the way, this job will never be finished! Sustrans gives us the option of ordering our own customized destination patches ("town centre 1 mile", "station 400 yd", "shops", etc). Moreover, it is possible that we can be of use to Peak Park rangers in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment